Monday, April 4, 2011

Random thought about the women in derby

There is something instilled in women that makes them have a love like no other. Quite frankly I feel like a man's love is feeble and somewhat worthless. Men will love you until you slip up and make even the smallest mistake. Women however are forgiving, patient, and have the strongest love possible. I mentioned this because being in a sport where you practically beat the shit out of your opponent you have to be forgiving at some point because its just a game. Something also struck me was the sisterhood that is formed between women. In this crazy world, women are very tight knit butt loads of compassion.
For instance, with all the bs that goes on behind the curtain of a team, they ultimately pull their shit together before a bout and stick together as a unit, a family. One of the things I LOVED and BnB was the sisterhood and camaraderie we all had. We were after all, women from TOTALLY different backgrounds but we all came together for the love of this sport. We had disagreements that would make you want to punch someone in the face, but come game time NO ONE and I do mean NO ONE was gonna fuck over my teammates. If you weren't a member of my unit, your were pretty much on my shit list. i remember one of the girls from our first and only home bouts was gunning for my derby wife that was a jammer for that jam. Knowing my wife's hate for jamming and how it wore he out I did the only thing that came to my mind when I saw someone coming for her.....blocked the shit out of her. After getting served a little ass beating from PRRD we went to the after party and it was a bit disturbing to see all three teams divided. Being the over bubbly person that I am and knowing my fellow teammates weren't to after party happy I took it upon myself to mix and mingle. Talking to those girls even for a moment was a good chance to bond. It's a chance to get to know your opponet To know that their home is open to me when I want to travel is pretty sweet.
Also when your in desperate need to talk to someone there is someone ALWAYS there. Like my dear friend Juggs. She was around for my darkest times and I will be forever grateful for her. She is someone who will be in my life while.
Anywho, the derby sisterhood is pretty awesome. There's no initiation process or hazing process. I think the fact that we do this sport is enough lol  there are some hits that will rattle you and bring you to your knees. But every woman in derby is mostly about uplifting and encouraging her teammates. The fact that we all came through the cut makes us appreciate and respect everyone in this brutal sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment